Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Valentine Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge time once again....
I generally skim over the questions before I dive in to answering them. 
Some require a bit of deep thought before answering.
This week with question No. 3 and going through the ever vast catalog of love songs in my head, I am now listening to the Carpenters as I type and spill forth my answers to this weeks Hodgepodge.

1. This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year?

I have never participated in Lent. It is not something that my family or our church did. The Footwashing Ceremony is our Pre-Easter tradition at church. 

2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you?


I have always liked pancakes. They were a favorite weekend breakfast when my kids were young. I like mine with a little butter and either sugar free or lite syrup. I haven't made pancakes myself since my daughter moved out. 
Now that we have an IHop in our town and I have tasted their blueberry pancakes, when I find myself craving pancakes that is where I go. 

3. I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love? 


We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters would have to be one of my all time favorites. If I am flipping through the radio stations and this song is on, I will always stop and listen. Maybe because it was one that I listened to over and over as a teen. Plus, how can anyone mot be mesmerized by Karen Carpenter's voice? She was truly an amazing artists.

4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them? 


I tell them!! Every time I talk to my kids, on the phone or in person, I say I Love You.  My son always hugs me before he leaves and my daughter gives me a kiss on the cheek. 
All of my life, even after I was married, I kissed my Mom and Dad before I left to go home or when they went to bed, when we stayed at their house.  
I take care of my family, physically and emotionally, I cook for them, clean up after them, and I try to be someone they can depend on.  







5. Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?

I love flowers of any kind and am always happy anytime that I receive them. My husband used to buy them often, but I suppose the honeymoon is over, since it has been quite some time since he has bought any flowers of any kind. 
The last time someone gave me flowers was at Christmas, my neighbor brought me the most beautiful Poinsettia. 
While all roses are beautiful I prefer the pink or yellow roses, especially at Valentines Day when the red ones seem to be the rose of choice. I dare to be different. 
If I were to choose, I would pick an arrangement with a little variety they tend to be my favorites. 

6. President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why?

I wouldn't consider myself a history buff, but I do find some historical places and facts interesting. I think all of the homes listed would be nice to see, but I think I would most like to visit the White House. It is a very historical home and has been occupied by so many. Just think of all the celebrities and world leaders, kings, queens, diplomats, foreign ministers, heads of state, etc. that have graced those hallowed halls.       

7. Are you good at keeping secrets?

Yes, I can keep a secret. Though I hate having to do so. Secrets have a way of coming out no matter how hard one may try to keep it concealed and most times when they do someone is hurt in the process. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.


Linked With:

11 comments:

  1. I must confess to using that word a few times myself. :) Yellow roses are beautiful. Though I suppose it helps that yellow is my favorite color. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the word doohicky a lot. Not just for one week. LOLOL

    I like your style, the mixed, eclectic color array for a bouquet...perfect. Touring the White House isn't really seeing too much, you get to see so few of the rooms, that it can be quite disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day! I enjoyed your post and answers. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being from the south, I use that word all the time...and my girls think it's hilarious! I love the Carpenter's and I remember when Karen died...a very dark day in the world of music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get the more Doohickeys I have in my life. I also have a lot of thingamajigs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that song! It almost makes me cry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. doohickey is a regular word in my vocab... honestly!!!!

    The Carpenters.. I always loved hearing them because my tone is similar to Karen Carpenter's - so I always tell everyone that's what I sound like (probably only in my mind) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mesmerizing is a good word to describe her voice. She never wobbled, cracked, went off pitch...perfection, plus I loved the low tones.

    I use doohicky quite often. That's what happens when you hit middle age and can't remember the names for things : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about the Carpenters. Her voice has never been equaled in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a funny word & i never heard of it. ;) Anyway thanks again for stopping by my blog! Music has changed and the annoying part is that i can't hear all the words and the music itself sometimes makes it harder, or the singer mumbles too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great love song. We hug and kiss all the time too with our children and family members. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!