Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Superbowl Hodgepodge

Everyone her in Bowling Green is excited about the Superbowl, 
they are calling it the HarBowl. 

Jack Harbaugh, father of John (Ravens Coach) and Jim (49ers Coach), brought life to a dying WKU Football program in the 90s. As head coach, Jack wound up leading the Hilltoppers to seven consecutive winning seasons, including the Division I-AA national title in 2002. Overall, Jack Harbaugh had a 91-68 record in 14 seasons at Western. Both John and Jim helped with recruiting players to WKU.  So the Harbaughs are well know on the Hill.   

1.      In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl. What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?
Wow, event.... can't think of any event that I have attended, sports or otherwise. I tend to watch on tv instead on being in attendance. 

My son is the big sports fan in the family and attends sporting events regularly. In December he went to Detroit with 17 other bus loads of fans to support our local football team, WKU Hilltoppers, in their first Bowl Game.  He was even shown on ESPN when they scanned the crowd. 
  


2.      Share something you're a fan of these days?



Ruzzle - word game on IPhone. My daughter challenged me to play and I am hooked. You and your opponent are given the same board of 16 random letters and you have 2 minutes to find as many words as possible.  There are three rounds of play per game. 












3.      How do you feel about wings? In case anyone is confused, I'm talking the edible appetizer kind. What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other? Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?

I love wings! I make them at home sometimes and have tried several different kinds of sauces. I tend to like the hot sauce seasonings. If I eat wings out my favorite places to go are Zaxbys and Mr. B's. 

4.      As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story? Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?

I have not followed the story intently but have seen bits and pieces of the interview on several of the news and talk shows. I just don't understand why after lying all this time that he decided to come clean now.

5.      What's a question you hate to be asked?

What are you doing??? or How are you feeling??? These are two questions that my husband drives me insane asking.  
Every morning the first thing out of my husband's mouth is how are you feeling, as well as several times during the day. First of all, two seconds after an alarm goes off or a couple of minutes after getting up I am not anywhere near ready to analyze how I feel. I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis, so I am slow moving first thing in the morning. Weather changes effect my mobility as well as certain activities.  I know he means well, but it is soooo annoying.  
The what are you doing usually means I want you to do something for me. 

6.      The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers. Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er's and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens. Were you and your sibling(s) competitive? In what way? Are you still? If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up? 

I have two brothers and one sister. Board games and card games were always a competition with us. My little brother would cheat like crazy if he was losing. When we played card games, he would make sure that I sat by the window so that he could see my cards through my glasses in the window. 


7.      What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?

E.A. Diddle Arena - WKU 


I have never been very good at sports. Basketball would be my favorite "ball" sport. I never liked playing a game of basketball, I am usually the cheerleader. I do enjoy playing H-O-R-S-E (follow the link if you don't know about the game). When my kids were younger we played all the time, I could kill them with the Granny shot. 





8.      Insert your own random thought here.

My Saturday morning bank errand was not the usual mundane chore. I was waiting at the light when I noticed a car in the distance off the side of the road. Since the day before we had ice on everything I assumed it had slid off the road the day before and had been left there by the driver.  However, as I got closer I saw that the car was still running and that there was a car with its flashers on just ahead of it. Realizing that the two cars had been involved in an accident I stopped to ask if they needed help or a phone to call for help. I stopped by the car that was off the road, in the ditch to be exact. I asked the man if he was okay and if he needed a phone to call someone or a wrecker. He just sat there, so I got out of my car and stepped closer. As I approached he said I don't know and opened his door attempting to step out. At that moment I realized he was drunk. Seeing that he was clearly stuck, I then walked to the other car to see if the driver was okay. The young girl was clearly shaken and crying and was on the phone with the police.  After she finished her call I tried to calm her down. She told me that she was stopped at the light when the drunk man hit the back of her car. He then started to back up and ended up in the ditch. I looked back towards his car to see that he was trying to get his car out of the ditch. The front passenger side wheel was not touching the ground but was spinning as he attempted to move the car. He was about three or four car lengths behind her car. When the police arrived they quickly realized that the man was drunk and as the policeman lead him to the police car the man fell pulling the policeman down with him. They got him in the back of the squad car and the ambulance came to get the girl. Turns out she is a friend of my daughter's. She spent the better part of the day at the hospital being checked out and only has some pulled muscles in her neck. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt badly. 

Linked With:

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your friend's daughter is going to be okay and hope the drunk driver faces a string of charges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That iPhone game sounds fun! I don't have an iPhone though! I'll have to see if it's available on my iPod touch!

    have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Ruzzle sounds fun and very addictive. Drunk Drivers....they're scary, and to think,......they're out there on the roads and we don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was lucky she wasn't seriously injured.

    I've never heard of Ruzzle but will have to check it out. Not that I need to be playing any more games on my phone : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ruzzle, but I totally suck at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally do not like chicken wings, especially if they're spicy. But I actually had some at this Super bowl party at my sisters house. They were so good, i couldn't just have one! My sisters friend had marinated them in this really good honey sauce! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!