Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trying To Find Some Normalcy


I am happy to be joining in once again with this fun meme. I attempted to before Easter but simply did not have the energy. Since having my surgery I have been so exhausted and then while still in the healing process I developed a sinus and ear infection. This combination totally zapped my energy. I had multiple doctors appointments scheduled, (follow up visit with the surgeon, first visits with the oncologist and radiation oncologist), I thought that one of them would be able to treat me for the sinus stuff too. But, they would not. So a visit to my family physician was added to my agenda. Thank goodness for steroid shots and antibiotics. I am feeling much better now. As for my healing process, it has been a rough road. The doctors have been pleased with my progress except for the radiation oncologist. He was not pleased with my arm motion and wanted to send me to physical therapy. He said in order to start the radiation treatments I would have to have much more range of movement in my arm. So he gave me a week to get the arm moving or off to physical therapy I go. It has been rough, and I cried while doing the exercises for a few days. But, thank heavens I am gaining more use of the arm. It is still swollen and very sore but I am able to raise it over my head now and to do the exercises without crying in pain. I see the doctor again on Wednesday and hopefully will be able to move forward with the mapping out of my treatment process. I am still awaiting the results of the gene test to determine if I will be able to skip the chemo. I should have those results by the end of the week.

**     **     **     **     **     **     **     **     **     **     **     **

And now on with the Hodgepodge.......

1.     April 15th is the deadline for Americans to file their state and federal income tax returns. What's a job you do on a regular basis that could be described as 'taxing'?

Keeping files updated at the office. My husband often leaves things where he finishes with them instead of putting them in their proper place, so I spend a lot of time trying to locate documents that should be in a client's file. We work at home at times, more so since my illness, so documents are scattered at home and at the office. I periodicity have to check the conference room and his office at work as well as our dining room table and computer area at home for documents.   

2.     I'm participating in the April A-Z blog challenge, and the Hodgepodge happens to fall on Day O this week. In keeping with that theme...olives, onions, oysters, okra...of the foods mentioned, what's your favorite O food?


Ohhh, how I love onions and olives!!!! I like to put onions in everything or eat them on the side with certain foods. I love the smell of onions grilling and there is nothing like a green onion and a tomato fresh from the garden. Throw a few olives, green or black, in there and Yum, Yum!!

One of my favorite lunches is what my hubby calls a "nibbly plate" a few olives, tomatoes, green onions, cheese, grapes or pineapple, a slice of ham or turkey and a few crackers!! 

3.     What is something memorable you experienced as a child that your own children (or future children/nieces/nephews) will not get to experience? 


So many things... Telephone Party Lines, rotary phones, only three television networks to choose from, having to move the rabbit ears to get one of those stations to come in, having to go outside and turn the antenna to make the television stations clear, moving the rabbit ears on the television so you could have a clear picture, watching shows in black and white, counter checks....

My kids and I have had several conversations about many of the the items listed above. The telephone party lines simply blow their minds and the thought of only three tv stations does as well. But the counter checks has been the most amazing to them. Maybe it was just a small town thing. But where I grew up we had two local banks, we called them the white bank and the yellow bank, not because of the buildings but because at local businesses they had pads of counter checks white and yellow. When customers would go through the check out process and say they were going to pay with a check the clerk would ask, white bank or yellow? Which ever bank your family used that is the check pad you would be handed. You filled out the check and signed it or signed your parents name and yours underneath it. It was more of a task keeping up with the checks with more family members writing them on the same account and them not being chronologically numbered. 
My kids seldom even write checks and when my daughter lost her debit card and had to do without it while they issued a new one asked me how she was going to be able to get cash or pay for things. The thought of writing a check was a foreign concept to her. 

4.     Term limits for our elected officials...your thoughts? 

I am on the fence on this one. While term limits would possibly bring new eyes and new ideals to the table, sometimes the wisdom of age and experience is best.  
5.     On April 18th, 1775, Paul Revere made his famous 'midnight ride'...when did you last make a midnight ride? Perhaps the fate of a nation wasn't hanging in the balance, but tell us where you were headed anyway.


One night my kids and I were up late. We decided we wanted something to eat. Since the only places open around here at midnight or after are White Castle, Taco Bell and the local Donut Shop we decided to make a midnight run to White Castle. The furthest place from the house of course. It was actually fun and a great memory of time shared with my kids. 

6.     What would freak you out more...a mouse running across your floor or a big fat hairy spider? 


Not that I am fond of either one, but the mice I can control. Spiders are another story. We have those pesky Brown Recluse spiders around here and they are nearly impossible to get rid of. We spray our house every year for them but still see them at times.  My husband and step son have been bitten by them, both of them had to see a doctor for their bites and had to take medication to get the bite site to heal. I am constantly on the look out for them. Once I saw one under my pillow. I turn my pillow over Every night before climbing in bed now.  

7.     I love it when people ask me________________________?


How I keep my hair in such great shape. Many times when I get it cut the people will remark about how soft and healthy it is. This past January while in Florida I got my bangs trimmed and the guy commented on my hair. The thing is I really don't do anything special to it. I change shampoos often, I try to at least trim the ends twice a year and very seldom blow it dry. But I color it every few months and straighten it or use hot rollers on it nearly every day.

8.     Insert your own random thought here.




12 comments:

  1. Love the poster about scars. I've never thought of them in this light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ❤ the scar post, it's so true. Glad the arm is getting better too! I'm still right here, a FB message or text away should you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you have cancer and have to endure the treatments. I can't imagine. But I'm thankful there ARE treatments and therapies and doctors to benefit from. Hey, I never heard of counter checks. I once lived in a small town as a girl, but there was only ONE bank. I don't think checks will be around when my youngest enters 'the real world." Three channels--the kids can't wrap their minds around that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really hope you get on the mend soon! Your spiders sound dreadful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked for the telephone company before I retired and I can tell you that in Canada there are still a few people with party lines. Not many but some cottage dwellers still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brown recluses can be horrible...my granny got bitten by one and it was a nasty bite. If I ever found a spider under my pillow...I don't think I'd live to see the day and he surely wouldn't, either! Your answer to #3 brought back a lot of memories for me...some of which I'd completely forgotten about. Praying for your full recovery to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of counter checks before. Sounds like such a nice simpler and more trusting time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was with my girls going thru a drive thru for something small, maybe just a drink, and I said I didn't have any cash...no worries-they debit everything. $1.88? No problem. Recently I've asked them to stash some cash for an emergency. This generation is naive in that way...when Hurricane Sandy hit we couldn't use our ATM cards because stores, restaurants, and even the banks had no power for an extended period of time. We still need a little cash!

    I do hope your treatment continues to go well and you heal and feel better soon. I will add you to my prayers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i remember those telephone games, i loved 3 way calling and *69 to see who called and hung up on me. Hope you are doing okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your random thought.

    I hope all keeps getting better for you medically and you get the movement range you need in your arm. When I've been in physical therapy, I find it's less painful than being on my own because the therapists won't let me hurt myself. I'm not as gentle on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your nibbly plate sounds delicious, minus the olives! we had a party line when i was a kid and i would listen to the neighbors' conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE-LOVE-LOVE your random thought. Thank you. I grew up with a party line as well, I remember listening in on it many time. I hope you continue to get well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!