Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Update and Hodgepodge

When I last posted I was working hard to gain somewhat normal motion in my arm. I had my appointment with my Radiation Oncologist this past Wednesday and he was very pleased with my range of motion, actually he was very surprised at the improvement. Granted it is still not perfect or anywhere near normal, but I am able to get it over my head and in the position needed for the treatments. So even though we still had not gotten the results of the gene (Oncotype DX) test the doctor wanted to go ahead and do what he called my "simulation".  

This "simulation" consisted of lying on the table shown in the picture. The table moves up and towards the machine. The material I was lying on was then conformed to my body making a mold that will be used for each of my treatments to ensure that I am in the same exact position every time. The doctor then came in with a sharpie marker and marked the area to be radiated. The machine rotated around me and pictures were taken. Once they were satisfied that they had the area targeted the nurse gave me my permanent tattoo marks. I now have three small dark blue tattoos, (just little dots). These too will ensure that the correct spot will be treated each time.  

Finally, Monday evening the Medical Oncologist called with the test results.

My total score was a low 12, so this means NO CHEMO!!! I am so happy and Thankful for this news. 

I go on Thursday to have a cat scan and with this the Radiation Oncologist and his team can put together my exact treatment plan. Because they will be treating my left side the team has to take extra precautions to keep the radiation from hitting my heart. 

They hope to have a plan together to start the treatments on Monday, if not than it will be the following Monday. Six weeks of Monday through Friday treatments... I am dreading this so much but know that it is what is best for me and I just want to be done with it. 

But for now, on with the Hodgepodge.........

1. April showers bring May flowers...what have you been showered with this month?

Tulip Tree March 2012

I think the only thing I have been showered with lately is Doctors. 

Not really much growing in my yard, even my Tulip Tree hasn't bloomed as beautifully. When the tree blooms were just beginning to open up we had several cold frosty days and the blooms never fully opened but turned dark and fell off. 






2. What is the nature of compassion? Is it learned or innate? Can compassion be learned? If you're a parent is this something you've purposely sought to instill in your children, and if so how?

I do think compassion can be taught. Experience is the best teacher and if our children see us as parents and role models being compassionate towards others they too will learn compassion. 
Simple things like treating others with respect no matter their status in the community, or collecting clothes and toys for a family who has lost everything in a fire, bringing food to a friend or neighbor who is ill,  teaching our children to be accepting of those who are different from ourselves, opening a door for the young mother struggling with a child and packages or groceries, stopping as a funeral procession goes by, and so many other acts of kindness.....

3. Do you prefer to watch romantic comedy or romantic drama...or are you rolling your eyes saying bring on the action flicks?

I would have to say that I enjoy them both. Give me a romantic movie any day over an action flick!!

4. It's April which means baseball season is officially upon us here in the US of A. Humphrey Bogart is quoted as saying "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." Agree or Disagree?

Oh I so Agree!! There is nothing like a hot dog from a ballgame. I don't know what it is about them, but they are always sooooo good!!

5. What's something in your community or city that needs fixing or improving?

The roadways. There is so much construction going on and so many areas have had streets torn apart with the installation of underground wiring and bigger drains. 

6. Share a song you enjoy that mentions flowers or a specific flower in its title.

This is the first song that came to mind and one that I enjoy, The Rose by Bette Midler.


7. April 22nd is Earth Day...do you believe there's life on other planets? That wasn't the question you were expecting was it? 

No little green men or monster like beings, but micro organisms I supposed there could be. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.



7 comments:

  1. So sorry for all that you're going through right now. Will certainly be praying for you.

    Also, love that last picture. It always makes me laugh because it's so entirely true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that the shower of doctors mends you to being 100% healthy again. Those are the best showers, even if the storm is a heavy downpour at times!!

    We agree with the city 'fixing'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you got some good news this week. I am sure you will win this war even though you have lost a few battles. Hang tough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you have to endure this but your progress does sound encouraging. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think parents are a great role model for compassion. Great song choice! Now that is definitely random.....and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic news! So happy you will not have to endure chemo. Praying the rest of your treatment continues to go well

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!