Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hunting Island

Here are some pictures from our time at Hunting Island. The lighthouse was, of course, the main draw for me, but the beach there is really nice. We arrived there in the morning and toured the lighthouse. It was a bit different from the others that we had visited. This one is built so that you can see the spiral of the stairs going up and down. I really liked that.
The weather was a bit cooler and that made the climb to the top easier. The view from the top was awesome. I took lots of pictures while I was up there. I watched the birds flying by in their V formation. I love just standing up there feeling the wind in my hair and taking in the view.

Inside the lighthouse there are plaques and pictures about the history of the lighthouse itself and the area.


I thought that this picture was kind of neat, with the shadow of the lighthouse showing on the ground below.

The other picture is of the beach and a section of big rocks. There are three of these along the beach.


Here I am atop the lighthouse.
Going Down.....
I guess you can tell from the big smile on my face, that I was enjoying myself.




The lady at the entrance was kind enough to take our picture as we came out. We walked around the grounds and then headed to the beach.
Here is Barry walking around on the rocks at the beach. He found several small crabs in the water there.


There was lots of dead trees and drift wood in a couple of sections along the beach. We found some shells in these areas. I even found a sand dollar near the rocks.

This beach was the best place to find sea shells that I have ever been to. I could not believe how many shells there were along the beach. Some good sized shells too.


As the tide came in the rocks began to disappear. I could stand in the water and see the shells washing up, along with some little fish too.



We even saw some dolphins swimming not very far at all from us. I tried to get a picture of them as they came up, but all I could ever get was their fins. If you look reeealllllly close, you can see their fins in the picture below.
These are some pictures of the water coming up over the rocks. It was cool watching the water overtake the rocks and the beach. We had placed towels on the beach, a good distance from the water when we first got there, and we had to move them back so they wouldn't wash away.



Here is the trees and drift wood that we had been walking around before the tide came in.

Hunting Island is a good beach to visit, especially if you like to gather shells and see a lighthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!