Wednesday, September 28, 2011

International Festival 2011

This past weekend my daughter and I attended the Bowling Green International Festival. We had a great time watching some of the performers and talking with the people at the different tents. We saw and learned about many different cultures. We sampled a few food items while visiting the tents. I highly recommend African Donuts and Vietnamese Floating Cakes (banh troi). I was so glad that my daughter wanted to attend this event with me. She had her first Gyro, and loved it. Although she found it hard to believe that she was eating a mixture of lamb and beef.
Below are some of the pictures I took while at the festival. It's funny, while I was there seeing the people dressed in attire from their native countries, the song "We Are The World" and "It's a Small World" kept playing in my head. So I chose one of them for my Thursday Theme Song post.  

Song: We Are The World
Written By: Michael Jackson & Lionel Ritchie
Performed By: Supergroup USA for Africa
It was a charity single released in 1985.

We are the world,
We are the children.
We are the ones who make a brighter day,
So let's start giving.
There's a choice we're making.
We're saving our own lives.
It's true we'll make a better day,
Just you and me.
Africa

 Vietnam
(Serving banh troi - small white balls made of brown sugar wrapped in glutinous white flour) 

The Great Brier Reefs - Funk/Jazz

                                                      Flamenco - Spanish Dance

                                   Rachana Pasupuleti - Classical Indian Dance Form 


 
                                       Indian Student Association - Dances of India

Anna's Greek Restaurant - Belly Dance

Scotland

                                              Zingara - Belly Dance Troupe
                                     (Yes, one of the dancers is a guy)

                                                                  Native Americans

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will take the time to leave a comment or two and to surf on over to Hootin' Anni's Thursday Theme Song and check out other fun picture and music posts!

4 comments:

  1. Great photos, this looks like a wonderful event. It sounds like you had a great time. We have a similar event here each summer, like you I enjoy talking with everyone and sampling the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...such a fitting song choice for this week's theme. And your photos? Well, what can I say. It's all just purely perfection. And a load of work for you, I'm sure. But oh so wonderful. Well done.

    Rockin' Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...one of my favorite songs and what absolutely beautiful pictures.
    Well done!!
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess what!!!! I know one of the Native American's. The one with the full head dress on. He's from Ed Co. (Your Sister)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!