Monday, September 05, 2011

Last Weekend of Summer

Well here we are at the last weekend of summer. I can't say that I am sad to see the HOT temps that we have seen in the past several weeks go away. I can't seem to take the heat anymore. Especially when the humidity is so high. Bring on some cooler temps.......

I spent this past week getting ready for a yard sale (actually garage sale). I have been meaning to have one since summer began, but one thing or another has kept me from it. Until, I received a flyer in my mail box informing me that there was to be a community wide yard sale Labor Day week end, so I thought this would be the perfect time to have one, since you always do better if there are several in the area. I worked a couple of hours every evening. I began with cleaning out the garage. It was a mess. My husband has his repair projects out there with tools strewn about and the storm in June that wrecked havoc on the roof left it's mark too. The roof being repalced left remenants of shingles and nails here and there. So the garage was in need of a good cleaning anyway. Thank goodness I put things in plastic storage containers when they are to be stored in the garage.

I placed my ad in the local "Peddler" (a community event weekly delivered paper).

After the garage was cleaned I was able to set up my tables and begin putting my items on them. Being the organizing person that I am and from 10 years working in retail everything was laid out in an orderly fashion. In front of the items I hung index cards with the prices listed on them. The better clothing items I priced individually and hung them on the two clothing racks that I have. Thursday morning I put up my signs directing people to my house and by Thursday night everything was ready to go.

Friday was a steady flow of people from about 7 am to around 1. Saturday was a very busy day. My driveway was full most of the day. I had people here from 6:30 am to around 3 in the afternoon. It was sooooo hot, and I was thankful that I wasn't out in the direct sun like some of the others participating in the neighborhood. By the end I was worn out and tired of being hot! I went to bed Saturday night at 9:30, the earliest I have gone to sleep in a long, long time.
It was alot of work, but I accomplished getting the garage cleaned, got rid of some things that I didn't need any longer and put a little change in my pocket too. Plus I got to talk with some people in the neighborhood that I only see in passing.

Sunday was spent sleeping in a bit and just relaxing.

Today I went back into the garage and sorted through what was left from the garage sale. I packed up what I wanted to keep and have bagged up what I plan to take to the Goodwill. It was so much cooler today that I was able to get more accomplished in a shorter amount of time. I enjoyed being out there.

Well that has been my Labor Day Weekend. Hope yours has been a Good One!!

1 comment:

  1. What a productive weekend! Rick always wanted to have a yard sale. We never got around to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you take a moment to leave a message or two. I love hearing what you think of my posts!